Maskinistens Twitter-flöde  Stöd Maskinisten via Patreon  Maskinistens nätverk - information på svenska  Maskinistens nätverk - information på finska  Maskinistens nätverk - information på norska  Maskinistens nätverk - information på danska  Maskinistens nätverk - information på isländska
Forumindex

ForumindexForumindexMaskin-databasFotoalbumKalender-informationKöp & SäljDownloadsLexikonKontaktregisterCrimedatbase

Åkerman-register
Visa forum för mobila enheter

ForumindexDiverseMedlemspresentation

Greetings from Druid central !

54 inlägg • Sida 1 av 4
Är du ny här? Välkommen att presentera dig i detta forum. Berätta vem du är och hur du hittade hit ...

V8Druid (trådstartaren)

#1 » 01:12:52, 21-02-2015
  • Överför markerat ord till lexikonet

Hello :wave: - I’ve spent most of my life running my steel fabrication and crane hire business, until I became ill in late 2010 and was forced to give up what I loved doing – making things! :sad:

Was told initially I was terminally ill, :uupps: then after 5 months the diagnosis was changed to an extremely rare disease called Gaucher’s, but it was treatable :smile: and that I would be on treatment for the rest of my life !!
I was 53.

I spent a lot of time ‘winding up’ my business affairs and disposing of the assets and premises, which I finished completely last May.

I live out in ‘the country’ and have a small barn conversion with a couple of acres of ground.

After having a fabrication workshop for most of my adult life, it is hard not to have my facilities to use and so I am in the process of leveling some of my ground to put up a small workshop.
The ground is a large bank and I started to excavate with a JCB 3CX and a 6 tonne dumper, to move the spoil to a neighbour’s ground and fill in a large gully for him.
The ground conditions are very wet/heavy clay type soil and digging is restricted to dryer weather, or it gets everywhere!! :!:

I have now replaced my 3CX with the Hydrema, as it was becoming ‘hard work’ with a 180 BHL and I needed more capacity for some of the rocks I was uncovering!!
Plus I wanted the lifting capacity and reach that the M1500 gives me, for other uses. I chose the wheeled option, as I intend to use it as a materials handler, as well as an excavator and need to be able to ‘get about’ my property with it, without damaging the road surfaces/driveway, etc..

I’m a member of a UK equipment forum and a fellow member from Norway suggested I ought to join this forum, when he was showing me some links to a DIY tilty that someone was making. I have been building my own VA-r (Variable Angle Rotator) for a while now and it is almost ready to be ‘oiled up’ and tried.

As a life long fabricator, I am always interested in other people’s work and like to share/help when I can. :cool:

I’ve enjoyed the UK forum immensely and learnt a lot there. I look forward to similarly enjoying being a member here and hopefully making some friends perhaps, as I have done on the UK one. :grin:

Machine experience-wise; I’ve been around heavy equipment most of my life and have operated crawler/truck mounted/self propelled cranes, FLTs, BHLs, 360 excavators – tracked and wheeled, of all sorts of sizes, up to 20t, and I will have a go at anything!!
I also used to have a LGV license and have driven trucks of all sizes. I have had a full M/cycle license since I was 17 and still ride bikes – currently a GL1500 Goldwing!

Hope this is enough of an intro for you all and feel free to ask anything you like – I might answer you !! ;o)

Graham
If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!! :uupps:

6 personer gillar det här inlägget.
Användarvisningsbild
V8Druid
Fler än 500 inlägg

Ort: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
International
Maskintyp: Grävmaskin (hjulburen)
Maskin: '99 15 tonne Hydrema Weimar M1500 compact wheeled excavator with Druidfab VA-r tilt rotator (rototilt)
'86 JCB 3CX SITEMASTER Extradig --SOLD
2002 JCB 8015 - 360 excavator
'97 6 tonne swivel skip Thwaites dumper
3 tonne Tico Humperdumper
Fleming Manor Micron 1/2 ton walking excavator

jörgen.ottosson

#2 » 08:29:08, 21-02-2015

Hi, welcome to the site

I hope you find some interesting DIY and/or semi professional projects here, to enjoy. My self, and others here, will certainty be looking forward to see some of your own.

I´m a Mechanical engineer by trade, but I have previously worked as a mechanic (heavy equipment) and tuck-driver / machine operator ....some fabricating (when needed, or for fun) and I guess I´m still at it. :grin: but now on a spear time basis (recreational work :klia: :insomnia: :grin: )

I guess many people here have similar backgrounds, or are at least genuinely interested, learning from others, and/or by doing.

/Jörgen
Deus ex machina

1 person gillar det här inlägget.
jörgen.ottosson
Fler än 500 inlägg

Sverige
Maskintyp: Grävmaskin (larvburen)
Maskin: sandvik sl-350
liebherr a500s
scania lbs 140
KL 121B

qqq

#3 » 13:53:21, 21-02-2015

Hello!

Intresting to read your presentation.

I was thinking about some things. If you buy for example a wheelloader at some place in UK and want to move it say 50 km om public roads.
Can you drive it on the road as it is, or do you need to get a (temporily) licensplate and insurance ?

For example in norway you can get a sticker type of licensplate for a couple of days that covers roadtax and basic insurance.
In sweden all "working equipment" (like wheeloaders, wheeled excavators aso) are without roadtax and without licenceplate if they have a maximum speed of 30 km/h, so you only need a basic "traffic road" insurance for driving on public roads (and some letter on your driver licens).

qqq
Fler än 500 inlägg

Maskintyp: Ej angivet

Holger

#4 » 15:34:59, 21-02-2015

Welcome Graham!

Användarvisningsbild
Holger
Webmaster
Webmaster

Sverige
Maskintyp: Hjullastare
Maskin: Test

Michael Meier

#5 » 16:27:04, 21-02-2015

:wave: Hello, Graham,

I think som of the members here need this "string" also :)

If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!
/Michael M

2 personer gillar det här inlägget.
Michael Meier
Fler än 500 inlägg

Sverige

V8Druid (trådstartaren)

#6 » 22:07:49, 21-02-2015

Holger skrev:Welcome Graham!

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome :smile:
I'm looking forward to some interesting times hopefully, if I can keep logged in long enough !!! :???:
Not so bad tonight though - last night was a nightmare - change page - kicked out!! :eek:
My friend in Norway has sent me the info. on http & https, so hopefully this will cure the problem. :hurra:
Gra
If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!! :uupps:
Användarvisningsbild
V8Druid
Fler än 500 inlägg

Ort: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
International
Maskin: '99 15 tonne Hydrema Weimar M1500 compact wheeled excavator with Druidfab VA-r tilt rotator (rototilt)

V8Druid (trådstartaren)

#7 » 22:15:40, 21-02-2015

Michael Meier skrev: :wave: Hello, Graham,

I think som of the members here need this "string" also :)

If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Hi Michael, Sure as death and taxes Boyo!! They'll all give trouble at some point in time!! :grin:
Användarvisningsbild
V8Druid
Fler än 500 inlägg

International

V8Druid (trådstartaren)

#8 » 22:30:25, 21-02-2015

qqq skrev:Hello!

I was thinking about some things. If you buy for example a wheelloader at some place in UK and want to move it say 50 km om public roads.
Can you drive it on the road as it is, or do you need to get a (temporily) licensplate and insurance ?

For example in norway you can get a sticker type of licensplate for a couple of days that covers roadtax and basic insurance.
In sweden all "working equipment" (like wheeloaders, wheeled excavators aso) are without roadtax and without licenceplate if they have a maximum speed of 30 km/h, so you only need a basic "traffic road" insurance for driving on public roads (and some letter on your driver licens).

Hi there,

Glad you found the intro interesting - didn't quite know what to put really! :???:

In the UK, if it's on the road, it has to be registered, insured AND taxed.
To move a BHL for instance, if it's not taxed, you could use 'trade plates' - a set of registered plates, usually held by dealers or repair centres to move any thing around that is not taxed/registered/insured - the plates themselves are all three.
I used to hold a set of trades, when I was in business, for moving un-taxed/uninsured vehicles, but no longer have, my own!
I am able to borrow sets from friends though!!
The Norwegian Idea is a good one and I was aware of it from a friend in Norway - very useful and anyone can do it :smile:

I like the Swedish Idea much better though :cool: My 3CX or Thwaites would not qualify, but my 'Drema would - 30k box in her! :smile: :cool:
Användarvisningsbild
V8Druid
Fler än 500 inlägg

International

V8Druid (trådstartaren)

#9 » 23:02:56, 21-02-2015

jörgen.ottosson skrev:Hi, welcome to the site

I hope you find some interesting DIY and/or semi professional projects here, to enjoy. My self, and others here, will certainty be looking forward to see some of your own.

I´m a Mechanical engineer by trade, but I have previously worked as a mechanic (heavy equipment) and tuck-driver / machine operator ....some fabricating (when needed, or for fun) and I guess I´m still at it. :grin: but now on a spear time basis (recreational work :klia: :insomnia: :grin: )

I guess many people here have similar backgrounds, or are at least genuinely interested, learning from others, and/or by doing.

/Jörgen

Hi Jörgen - thanks for the welcome - I'm here at the suggestion of a friend in Norway who has been showing me some posts about self build rototilts :cool:
I have been building my own for some time and it is approaching completion.
For my own private use, I can not justify the cost of a 'proprietary' one, but I am so impressed with the abilities it gives, that I just had to 'give it a go'. :grin:
I had never heard of them before seeing one on the UK forum I'm in. :cool: I've certainly learnt a lot from being a member there and made some new friends
Hopefully I'll do the same here :smile:

Before I retired I had a 1000 sq. Mtr fabrication workshop and have made all sorts in my 35 years fabricating.
I am now having to 'work' at home with basic equipment, compared to what I used to have, but at least I have a couple of decent benches to work on, but have to work outside, as I have no where under cover to work at present. Hence my interest in the 'Drema, as I explained in the intro! :smile:
Looking forward to seeing some of you guy's projects and I've a few of my own I'll be sharing too.

Although having operated many varied excavators and plant over the years, i would not call myself an excavator operator, per se, although I can hold my own, at my own pace :vissla: and love to be in the seat - cranes and FLTs - do it in my sleep!! :smile: Been op.-ing them for forty years.

Gra
Användarvisningsbild
V8Druid
Fler än 500 inlägg

International

jörgen.ottosson

#10 » 08:40:05, 22-02-2015

V8Druid skrev:...
I'm here at the suggestion of a friend in Norway who has been showing me some posts about self build rototilts :cool:

Hi Graham

That sounds like quite a project, would love to see some pictures of that build. :eat:

Is it built on a worm gear for unlimited rotation, or have you settled fore some another solution with limited rotation? Although I have made a tilt bucket for one of my old excavators, I´m some what discouraged building a rotortilt, because of the hours of attention I expect it will require. But it would certainty be a nice attachment to use (or most likely have :grin: ).
Deus ex machina

jörgen.ottosson
Fler än 500 inlägg

Sverige
liebherr a500s
scania lbs 140
KL 121B

V8Druid (trådstartaren)

#11 » 15:40:53, 22-02-2015

jörgen.ottosson skrev:
V8Druid skrev:...
I'm here at the suggestion of a friend in Norway who has been showing me some posts about self build rototilts :cool:

Hi Graham

That sounds like quite a project, would love to see some pictures of that build. :eat:

All in good time Jörgen :smile: Got a bit of a story first, for you, about how it all came about :vissla:
I just need to decide where to post it all, in here, as 'finding my way around' when I have to translate everything first is a bit 'uphill' :grin:

jörgen.ottosson skrev:Is it built on a worm gear for unlimited rotation, or have you settled fore some another solution with limited rotation? Although I have made a tilt bucket for one of my old excavators, I´m some what discouraged building a rotortilt, because of the hours of attention I expect it will require. But it would certainty be a nice attachment to use (or most likely have :grin: ).

It's on a ring gear and worm drive so full 360 - it's almost 'there', but now I have to build it an underside hitch, as I can't find anything that will suit me. It currently has a pin on pick up system, so would be usable once 'oiled up' ! :smile:

You're right about the HOURS of attention though - it has not been a quick project and it has been on a budget, as it is only for my private use!!
Plus there have been several other small projects along the way!! :vissla:

I have also had to learn from my new friends on the UK forum about how these things 'tick', as I have never seen one 'in the metal' (and still haven't - they're quite rare over here still)!and learn just how to make it all work/design it/fabricate it!
It's been enjoyable though - fabricating other peoples 'dreams' is what I've spent my life doing - now I have the time to spend on mine; just a bit short of facilities, these days!! :sad:

Any suggestions as to a suitable place where to start/post the story?? :???:

Gra
Användarvisningsbild
V8Druid
Fler än 500 inlägg

International

qqq

#12 » 16:39:38, 22-02-2015

V8Druid skrev:
qqq skrev:Hello!

Hi there,

Glad you found the intro interesting - didn't quite know what to put really! :???:

In the UK, if it's on the road, it has to be registered, insured AND taxed.
To move a BHL for instance, if it's not taxed, you could use 'trade plates' - a set of registered plates, usually held by dealers or repair centres to move any thing around that is not taxed/registered/insured - the plates themselves are all three.
I used to hold a set of trades, when I was in business, for moving un-taxed/uninsured vehicles, but no longer have, my own!
I am able to borrow sets from friends though!!
The Norwegian Idea is a good one and I was aware of it from a friend in Norway - very useful and anyone can do it :smile:

I like the Swedish Idea much better though :cool: My 3CX or Thwaites would not qualify, but my 'Drema would - 30k box in her! :smile: :cool:

I guessed that after seen that uk vehicles often have a plate.
It is possible loan or rent those plates from dealers, or are there companies that rent out plates as a buisness ?
I guess that you need to have a business to get those plates. It is so in sweden. Here they are green and black.
Yes the norwegian system is really smart. Simple and practical.
qqq
Fler än 500 inlägg

Maskintyp: Ej angivet

jörgen.ottosson

#13 » 20:16:30, 22-02-2015

I guess "excavator attachments" in the construction machinery section ....
http://www.maskinisten.net/viewforum.ph ... 91d1695d1e

...or "projects/restorations/resurrections" in the work shop section....
http://www.maskinisten.net/viewforum.php?f=98

....should be appropriate, depending on what you wants to focus on. (That is what I would try, any way... :klia: )
Deus ex machina

jörgen.ottosson
Fler än 500 inlägg

Sverige
liebherr a500s
scania lbs 140
KL 121B

V8Druid (trådstartaren)

#14 » 03:11:35, 23-02-2015

qqq skrev:I guessed that after seen that uk vehicles often have a plate.
It is possible loan or rent those plates from dealers, or are there companies that rent out plates as a buisness ?
I guess that you need to have a business to get those plates. It is so in sweden. Here they are green and black.
Yes the norwegian system is really smart. Simple and practical.

No - you can't rent/hire the plates, but I've a few friends who still have them so I could 'borrow' some if needed :cool:
The Norwegian system is a great idea and as you say " Simple and practical "
Användarvisningsbild
V8Druid
Fler än 500 inlägg

International

V8Druid (trådstartaren)

#15 » 03:14:28, 23-02-2015

jörgen.ottosson skrev:I guess "excavator attachments" in the construction machinery section ....
http://www.maskinisten.net/viewforum.ph ... 91d1695d1e

...or "projects/restorations/resurrections" in the work shop section....
http://www.maskinisten.net/viewforum.php?f=98

....should be appropriate, depending on what you wants to focus on. (That is what I would try, any way... :klia: )

Thank you Jörgen and especially for the links :smile: it will save me a lot of searching and translating :cool:
I'll have a look tomorrow
Användarvisningsbild
V8Druid
Fler än 500 inlägg

International

Återgå till Medlemspresentation