Maskinistens Twitter-flöde  Stöd Maskinisten via Patreon  Maskinistens nätverk - information på svenska  Maskinistens nätverk - information på finska  Maskinistens nätverk - information på norska  Maskinistens nätverk - information på danska  Maskinistens nätverk - information på isländska
Forumindex

ForumindexForumindexMaskin-databasFotoalbumKalender-informationKöp & SäljDownloadsLexikonKontaktregisterCrimedatbase

Åkerman-register
Visa forum för mobila enheter

ForumindexMaskinforumThe Hymac ClubHymac Technology

Renovating an old Hymac 580BT

20 inlägg • Sida 1 av 2
Discuss Hymac technology here.
Diskutera Hymac-teknik här. Obs! Forumet är på engelska!

Kenneth Frydenlund (trådstartaren)

#1 » 23:33:03, 27-08-2009
  • Överför markerat ord till lexikonet

Hello everybody!
Would just start off by saying that english is not my native language, so I hope you understand my spelling.

I’ve been on the lookout for an old digger for a while now, and I came across this old Hymac 580BT on my way to a client two weeks ago.
Bild
I have been using other parts of this forum earlier and remembered this Hymac section.
After reading some of the posts here, I got inspired and traced down the owner of the machine.

Bild
The old machine had not been used for almost 18 months, but with the help of a portable batterybooster, the old girl fired right up!
I made the owner an offer and a couple of days later, she arrived at my house.
Bild
Incredibly there had only been two owners before me!

Bild
As you can see, she hasn’t exactly aged gracefully. :sad: But with a little time, some new paint and windows seals (I also got the two front windows) she should last a couple of more years. :driver:

The engine is a Ford engine from the mid 90’s. The previous owner put in an engine from an portable air-compressor after he bought the machine, so the engine runs smoothly. Because of the engine change, the manifold was a little bit different from the original, and therefore the rear engine-cover does not fit properly.

Anyways, I wanted to do a few things to her befor I put her to work.
First of all I need to give her a thorough cleaning. I also want to repair the cab, and give her a fresh coat of paint. :idea:

:back_to:

Bild
Okay, I started by stripping the cab. The electric system was in good condition, and came out easily. The frame for the seat gave up a bit more resistance. I ended up cutting several of the bolts from underneath the cab.

Bild
Bild
Bild
After cutting the bolts securing the cab to the frame (was way to rusted to unscrew) I started lifting the cab from the frame. Placed the cab on what we call a “Hydro-pallet” (a bit bigger than a Euro-pallet) so I could roll it in and out from the tent while using the angle grinder and welding.

Bild
This is after I removed a lot of leafs and dirt. The cab had been left open to the elements for quite a while. Not a nice environment to be sitting in!

Bild
Bild
After a powerwash the machine was driven into the tent, an work started on sanding down the old paint on the cab. Here I have finished welding some rust spots and primed the roof and left side of the cab.

Bild
Bild
I also removed the sliding door. I have decided to convert it do a hinged door to make it more watertight. The slides in the bottom of the cab had almost completely rusted away.
To make it fit in the opening of the cab, I had to cut off the top, bottom and rear section. I then removed some material and welded it back together.

More updates will follow :bira:
[/img]

1 person gillar det här inlägget.
Användarvisningsbild
Kenneth Frydenlund
Fler än 10 inlägg

Norge
Maskintyp: Grävmaskin (larvburen)
Maskin: Zetor 8540, MF 35, Hymac 580BT, Hinowa DM-40L

Daniel.A

#2 » 00:08:23, 28-08-2009

Very Interesting :thummar: keep on...
Bm 400 -65, IH 2275 Traktorgrävare -64(såld), Hymac 580 BT, Bm 36 -57, Volvo F610 -80, Willys CJ-3A -50. Scania 81 -77, Scania 111, mm
Användarvisningsbild
Daniel.A
Fler än 100 inlägg

Maskintyp: Lastbil

Holger

#3 » 09:11:18, 28-08-2009

Hi Kenneth! Thank you! I love those project-reports!
Keep up the good work!
I think you will have a lot of Hymac-friends following this thread!
Användarvisningsbild
Holger
Webmaster
Webmaster

Sverige
Maskintyp: Hjullastare
Maskin: Test

Anders Berg

#4 » 09:53:29, 28-08-2009

Nice work :thummar: I did the same thing with the sliding door, it looked better with a regular door.
Keep up the good work
Användarvisningsbild
Anders Berg
Fler än 500 inlägg

Maskintyp: Grävmaskin (hjulburen)
Maskin: Volvo BM 4200
MF Robur
Brøyt X21
Volvo N10
Scania 76 Super
Volvo FM 12 Spol/slam
Volvo FH 480
Volvo L70F

#5 » 15:31:39, 28-08-2009

Just a quick question to Anders Berg:
How did you make a watertight seal around the door after converting it?
I thought it would be easiest to add a piece of flat iron around the edge of the door that would overlap the cab about 10mm, than add a rubber seal at the back of this edge. At the back side (the hinged side) I think I will add a rubber seal between the inside of the cab and the door.

Bild
something like this...
Användarvisningsbild
Kenneth Frydenlund
Fler än 10 inlägg

Norge

Anders Berg

#6 » 16:42:42, 28-08-2009

Yes, i did something like that, a flat iron and a rubber seal, and the door was almost :???: water sealed. It was like 7 years i did this, but i remember that the door fitted in the opening with just few adjustments. Then i found a door handle from another Hymac (580C) so it looked just original.

Maybe tou have seen pictures of my Hymac here on maskinisten? I sold the machine two years ago, and now driving in Norwegian style, Bröyt. :grin:
Användarvisningsbild
Anders Berg
Fler än 500 inlägg

Maskintyp: Grävmaskin (hjulburen)
Maskin: Volvo BM 4200
MF Robur
Brøyt X21
Volvo N10
Scania 76 Super
Volvo FM 12 Spol/slam
Volvo FH 480
Volvo L70F

Jeremy Rowland

#7 » 23:48:41, 28-08-2009

Hi Kenneth :wave:

Great to see that you have bought a Hymac 580BT and are restoring it, must say that it looks in reasonable condition for its age.
I see that you are changing the door latter Hymac 580C machines had a hinged door instead of the sliding one.
Please keep us all upto date on how this restoration progresses. :thummar:

Jeremy
Jeremy Rowland
Fler än 100 inlägg

International

Nick Drew

#8 » 19:50:14, 31-08-2009

Yes I must agree with Jeremy !!

We look forward to seeing how this project develops Kenneth :buga:

It is great to see yet another Swedish Hymac being saved from the scrap dealer !! :thummar: :thummar:

Nick
Användarvisningsbild
Nick Drew
Fler än 500 inlägg

International

#9 » 19:58:14, 31-08-2009

Actually, that is Norwegian :razz: , but thanks anyway! :grin:
Användarvisningsbild
Kenneth Frydenlund
Fler än 10 inlägg

Norge

Nick Drew

#10 » 20:39:05, 31-08-2009

Oops !! Sorry Kenneth, :???:

My mistake I do apologise :P

Nick :grin:
Please check out my blog http://www.earthmoversmagazine.co.uk/?page_id=3092

Join the Digger Man Blog Facebook page, click on this link to apply to become a member https://www.facebook.com/groups/1422908344617046/
Användarvisningsbild
Nick Drew
Fler än 500 inlägg

International

#11 » 20:30:30, 13-09-2009

Hello everybody!

It’s time for another update.

Most of the time since the last update has been spent working on the cab.
I had to cut out and replace panels several places around the cab due to severe rust.
Bild
After welding in the new sections, I put on some bodyfiller and sanded down, then primed the new surface.
Bild
I think the result turned out quite well. :cool2:

After a lot of modifying of the original sliding door, I have finally put it back on the cab. :D
Bild
Bild

As I have mentioned before, I had to cut off a section from the top, bottom and rear section of the door. After a lot of trial and error it finally fitted I the opening of the cab. One of the problems with this work was to make sure I left enough room for the windows seals along the edges of the door (I am reusing the original glass). After welding it all back together, I added a piece of flat steel along the top, bottom and front of the door.
Bild
Not the most professional welding, I know, but I does the job. :lol:

The idea is to put a rubber seal on the back of this edge so that the door will be somewhat watertight. :P To make room for this rubber seal, I attached the hinges on the inside of the door and on the outside of the cab. The hinges had to be welded to the door, as putting in screws on the door would come in conflict with the windows rubber seals.

Bild
Because of the limited space for the door lock, I have used a standard lock originally intended for use indoors in the house, but it had the right thickness, and because I don’t have to lock the door, it really doesn’t matter. The main thing is that the door can be opened and closed from both sides. :smile:

Bild
Bild
I used a small anglegrinder, cut a groove and then drilled out a hole for the lock to fit against.
After welding the excess groove and cleaning up the hole a little bit, it should look a lot better. :)

As you can see, there is still a long way to go… :cool:

Bild
Bild

:bira:
Användarvisningsbild
Kenneth Frydenlund
Fler än 10 inlägg

Norge

#12 » 09:39:24, 09-04-2010

Hi!

After a long and cold winter, things have finally started moving again with this project.
I haven’t done any work on the machine since early December last year.
We have had a lot more snow (by far) and a colder winter than we have been used to over the last few years. I don’t have a heated garage to work in, so when the temperature drops below -10, the motivation takes a big hit :slag:
Also, my job has been taking up a lot of my time lately.
The little spare time I’ve had, has been spent on fitting a “new” front loader on my Zetor tractor :driver:
Bild

But now that the temperatures are steadily rising, so does the motivation.
I hope to finish sand blasting, and putting on primer in the next week or so.

Then the electrics are next on my “to-do”-list.
Användarvisningsbild
Kenneth Frydenlund
Fler än 10 inlägg

Norge

#13 » 19:49:31, 11-04-2010

This weekend I have finished the main portion of the cab.
I finished sanding, rust-welding and changing the worst rusteaten panels befor the winter.
I also put on a thin layer of primer so that the rust would not come back during the winter.

This is how I looked when I started up again this week.
Bild

Some parts didn’t look too good after all the rust was removed.
Bild
The worst places were obviously around the windows, but also some of the panels, where I had been welding, were a bit uneaven.
These areas were treated with some filler and more sanding, before I put the final coat of primer.

One of my neighbours came by yesterday, and he started laughing when he saw that I was putting on bodyfiller, and had started sanding the cab.
"What good is to put down so much work on a tired old machine. It's just a digger!" :/
I have received many such comments while I've been working on this machine, but for me this work is more of a therapy than something that has to be done. Once one has disassembled the machine, why not do it properly ... :razz:

Bild
Then it was finally time to put on some colour. :cool:
Bild
Bild
Bild
Three coats of “ESBJERG MASKINEMALJE” :wave:
Användarvisningsbild
Kenneth Frydenlund
Fler än 10 inlägg

Norge